By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The Catalyst MagazineThe Catalyst Magazine
Notification Show More
Latest News
WHO says Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide
HEALTH
FULL LIST: Wike-backed PDP names candidates for Oyo Reps seats
POLITICS
World Hypertension Day: Anambra offers residents free medical checks
HEALTH POLITICS
Osun Accord Party blames APC for secretariat attack
POLITICS
Omo-Agege claims victory in Delta Central APC Senate primary
POLITICS
Aa
  • Home
  • News
    • POLITICS
    • TECH
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • BUSINESS
    • LIFESTYLE
    • HEALTH
    • INVESTMENT
    • CLIMATE & ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE
  • Magazines
  • Contact
Reading: WHO says Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide
Share
Aa
The Catalyst MagazineThe Catalyst Magazine
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • POLITICS
    • TECH
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • BUSINESS
    • LIFESTYLE
    • HEALTH
    • INVESTMENT
    • CLIMATE & ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE
  • Magazines
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
The Catalyst Magazine > Blog > HEALTH > WHO says Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide
HEALTH

WHO says Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide

Editor
Last updated: 2026/05/20 at 1:02 PM
Editor Published May 20, 2026
Share
SHARE

The World Health Organisation on Wednesday said the risk of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s deadly Ebola outbreak was currently high at the national and regional levels but low worldwide.

WHO experts said that while investigations into its origins were ongoing, given the scale of the situation in the eastern DRC, the outbreak probably began a couple of months ago.

But the UN health agency’s emergency committee said it did not currently meet the pandemic emergency threshold.

“WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels, and low at the global level,” said the organisation’s chief, Tedros Ghebreyesus.

So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in the DRC, in the eastern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, “although we know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger”, he told a press conference at the WHO’s headquarters in Geneva.

He said Uganda had also reported two confirmed cases in the capital Kampala, including one death, while a US national working in the DRC has been confirmed positive and transferred to Germany.

“There are several factors that warrant serious concern about the potential for further spread and further deaths,” said Tedros.\

“Beyond the confirmed cases, there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths.

“We expect those numbers to keep increasing, given the amount of time the virus was circulating before the outbreak was detected.”

Not a pandemic

On Sunday, Tedros declared the situation to be a public health emergency of international concern — the second-highest level of alarm under the legally binding International Health Regulations (IHR) — triggering emergency responses in countries worldwide.

The WHO emergency committee convened to assess the outbreak met on Tuesday.

“The current situation and criteria for a public health emergency of international concern have been met, and we agree that the current situation does not satisfy the criteria for a pandemic emergency,” the committee’s chair, Lucille Blumberg, told reporters from South Africa.

Anais Legand, WHO technical officer on viral haemorrhagic fevers, said investigations were under way to pinpoint how long Ebola has been spreading in the eastern DRC.

“Given the scale, we are thinking that it has started probably a couple of months ago, but investigations are ongoing and our priority is really to cut the transmission chain by implementing contact tracing, isolating and caring for all suspect and confirmed cases,” she said.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Tuesday said the WHO was ” a little late” in identifying a deadly outbreak.

President Donald Trump, in one of his first acts on returning to office last year, set in motion a US withdrawal from the WHO, which he attacked bitterly over its response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Asked about Rubio’s criticism, Tedros said that “maybe what the secretary said… could be from lack of understanding of how IHR work, and the responsibilities of WHO and other entities”, he said, explaining that the agency acted in support of countries rather than replacing them in outbreak responses.

Editor
Editor

You Might Also Like

World Hypertension Day: Anambra offers residents free medical checks

COVID-19: Vaccination Not Compulsory For Civil Servants – FG

UPDATED: WHO approves China’s Sinovac Covid vaccine

‘Infertile women abusing ovulation-inducing drugs risk diabetes, cardiovascular diseases’

UK approves single shot Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Editor May 20, 2026
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
Facebook Like
Twitter Follow
Youtube Subscribe
Telegram Follow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
Popular News
Uncategorized

2023 Women’s World Cup: FIFA Backtracks From $49,000000 Promise To Women Players

Editor Editor August 2, 2023
Ondo APC expels Ajasin’s daughter for alleged anti-party activities
Buhari, others mourn, beneficiaries lament as TB Joshua dies
US Couple Accused Of Selling Nuclear Submarine Secrets
Police: Fire incident on Lagos-Ibadan expressway caused by tanker explosion
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • POLITICS
  • NEWS
  • LIFESTYLE
  • MAGAZINE

Top Categories

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • POLITICS
  • NEWS
  • LIFESTYLE
  • MAGAZINE

©2024 The Catalyst Magazine. All Rights Reserved

Removed from reading list

Undo
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?